23.2.07

Oklahoma City, OK, (VOL II)

I can't remember what my thoughts were at that precise moment, but I forgot all the formalities of the spoken language of when you meet a person for the first time. OK, so it wasn't the first time, but when he actually directed his words to me. So he did it. "What are your names". Hell, it's not like he knows that we have met before. Funny.

It's so strange when you meet someone that you already know a lot about: where he was born, who his family is (even met the dad and the sister), his vegetarianess, his profession, age, almost nude body, voice... and he knows absolutely nothing about you. That's how I even forgot that when you meet someone you're supposed to introduce yourself. I felt soooo slow. Everything looked like a blury movie. Maybe the beer had some hallucinogenous substances in it.
No, it was really happening. "I am Barbara" and he shook my hand. Geli said she was Geli and shook her hand too. So "how's the documentary going?" he asked. I think Geli was afraid that I'd collapse so she said "it's been good" or something like that. Sound, as well as vision I was perceiving with distortion.
"We're just missing you" I told him.
"You should have come earlier today". He said.
At that moment I think I went pale even though we had been tanning on the road through the car window as we drove for 3 weeks. "We did, but everyone seemed busy".
"You should have asked for me and I would have come out".
OH-MY-GOD. I think this is when my sun tan completely disappeared. I looked at him in total disbelief and now I couldn't help a certain sarcastic tone and my slightest evil look that to me is super evil, but to most people it's just funny.
"Have you got any idea of how hard it is to get to you?"
"Yeah, but you the people here right?, you should just have asked straight for me".

I felt stupid and I am sure I was standing there looking stupid as well. It was that simple... Next thing I can remember is that I tell him that I had brought something from Mexico for him. I take it out of my purse, and the present, after almost 3 weeks on the road, with all the heat and humidity, well... was not happy. The wrapping paper was all torn already from being taken in and out from my back pack. So I opened it for him to avoid the wrap embarrassment and the present is kind of melting.
"This is disgraceful" I told him and he just... smiled. So beautifully that that smile took all the weight off my shoulders and lit the whole arena, already with the lights being taken away after the show. "We've been carrying it around trying to give it to you". He looked at it and didn't seem very thrilled, but then Louie came and said "isn't it gorgeous?". It was a panther head handcraft made by mexican Indians, same guys who did Flea’s mask that I gave him. It was decorated with very tiny and very colorful stones, glued together with wax forming ethnic patterns. "Did you do this?" He asked. I laughed. "No, that takes ages to make". To me it would have taken a couple of years of entire dedication and bad sight.

He turns straight to me and looks me dead into the eyes. Fuck. I had seen many photos, close ups, videos, and none of those had prepared me to what it was really like to see him straight in the eyes. They're a show on it's own. Spectacular. A landscape. And I'm not saying this out of the love/infatuation/admiration/ that I have for the man.
"Well, come early to Denver, we'll take care of you". And then he said he had to go. So he started walking away with his food plate in one hand and the panther head in the other. I think I stood there for a while just breathing. And then I just had to ask Geli "Did he just say come early to Denver?". We weren't even going to Denver. Was not on our schedule, just because it was a 12 hour drive from Oklahoma. And I was already exhausted.
I got a permanent smile implanted on my face as we started walking out from the venue. We left through the back door, and we walked by the band’s buses. I was glowing. I started to walk really fast because I needed to get out of there and scream all the contained excitement. I couldn't hold it anymore. We started running out, and suddenly a voice stopped us. It was "she'sahottie". I had found out she is the nurse and that her name is Sathari.
The reason we called her "she'sahottie" was because when I described her to someone from the crew because I wanted to know her name, he said "oh, she's Sathari" (obviously he has an american accent)which I understood "oh, she's a hottie"and I said "well, yeah I guess so" . So we kept calling her "she'sahottie" until weeks later when I found out that that wasn't her real name. Anyways, she said Louie wanted to talk to us and walked us back to the tour buses. Louie said “so you know we’ll take care of you in Denver” and while I was talking to him Chad got off the bus and started talking to Geli. Then Anthony came out from his bus too and stood on the bus’ steps just checking what was going on with us. I never saw John that night so I gave Chad the shirt I had brought for John, which was made by the same people who did Chad’s, except John's was black with colorful hand sewed patterns. (Three years later, John was photographed in Italy wearing that shirt):
Italy 2006: John wearing a little piece of my heart
We got out of there. And finally I cried.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow you must have been quite shocked when you saw that pic..

JrMints said...

OMG!!! He was wearing it... If I were in your position I think my heart would've exploded.

Annie said...

I've always thought John wore clothes people had bought for him: I just cant see him shopping for stuff except guitars!