24.2.07

Denver,CO, June 20th 2003 (VOL I)

This day felt like I was walking in the core of a mist cloud. I sat inside the car outside Denver's Fiddler's Green ampitheatre in a sunny day and I was cold. So cold. Time seemed to freeze too.

I sat there for I don't know how long. My legs seemed to be on strike and not responding to my commands. For the first time in years I had to concentrate in breathing because it wasn't coming out naturally. Just the day before I was thinking of the irony of the situation. I really don't know how to explain this. I was in the chase of a dream actually never expecting to find it. It had been a year since I got immersed in all this madness, June 2002 in London. Had been to the Peppers shows 16 times. Had been backstage 7 times. And I had met him only once, very, very briefly. And I thought, this is as far as I can go. I was never expecting this to happen, not in this life time, nor the next or the next , nor in any of my 8 upcoming reincarnations.

I made several failed attempts to walk out of the car. Cold sweat. I was shaking. I was really wondering if that was persistence paying off, an accident, or I was still dreaming perhaps and I was still cold. I found myself wishing I could back up. To this day, all I can recall of how I felt that day is such a strange mixture of encountered emotions that I can't really remember most of them and I don't even know if those feelings have a name at all.

Finally found the strength to control my legs and eventually left the car. We walked straight to the backstage area and asked for the band's dressing room.

Immediately I saw Anthony who was standing inside, with his back turned towards us. I walked straight up to him when the security woman cuts my way through and stands right in front of me. She says that our pass doesn't allow us to walk into that area. I just stared at Anthony's back, wishing he’d turn around, for one because I really didn't think it would be nice to shout, and for other because even if I had wanted to scream I doubt any sound would have come out from my throat anyways.

"Who are you with?" asked the security woman, and I KID YOU NOT, in a totally super-hero- style-scene Anthony turned around, jumped out of the dressing room towards us and said "ME". Jesus Christ! The evil security woman had no choice but to back up. Thank God for the stiffness of my legs right at that moment.
He asked if I had found a spot where we could talk, I really didn't see that one coming and I asked him if was it possible to use their dressing room but he said that the rest of the band needed to concentrate and do their pre-show rituals. So he suggested we found a nice spot and tell him once we found it. So we did our scouting and found the roof. It was such a nice sunny day. So I went back to get him and on the way to the roof we bumped into Dave Lee who asked him if he wanted security to remove me. I gave Dave a dirty look. Anthony replied all serious "no, that's ok" and I stuck my tongue out to Dave and laughed. It was a show day and there were some bands playing around in the venue, even before Snoop opened again . The roof was such a cool sunny spot, but Anthony said it was too noisy. I had no idea where else to go since the backstage area was kind of small and busy everywhere. So, he suggested that we went to his bus...



To be continued.

No comments: