18.2.07

Dallas,TX, June 16th 2003

Maura left after the Houston show, so it's back to ol' Geli and ol' little me again. We sure are going to miss her. She left on a yellow cab on a rainy afternoon.

I'm in Dallas, aging not very gracefully, I have to say, all this driving and very few hours of sleeping, not much time to eat either, so I'm kind of looking a bit zombie with all these black bags, and thinner and you know...
Yesterday before the Dallas show we were hanging out backstage after getting fed in the catering room. Then it was all quiet back there and decided to go and explore the crowd while Snoop was playing.
It was an interesting sociological mix of people to watch. We talked to a couple of funny crazed out teenagers, pretty wild 13 year olds. It's so interesting how music can bring such a wide range of people together. It's such a non black or white environment, it's more like a view to all the wideness of mid tones and colors that make life interesting. All the punk baldness and the pink pierced Rastafarians, the freckled tattooed French/Chinese pot smoking creatures and then of course the generations of bad arsed Britneys among the heterogeneous mass of people. And then the rednecks of course.
All of them chanting as one this century's new anthem to our society's values: "Smoke weed, get drunk and fuck".
Talking to some dudes and dudettes we found out in utter shock how a lot of people were at the show to see Snoop and not the Peppers. I thought Snoop was more secondary, but he's not, he's actually a star too.

Went back into backstage zone and we sat next to the soda machine and refilled our cups several times. Oddly, in this amphitheatre for some reason there was a basketball court, and Flea was playing there. There was nobody else around except for Dave Rat, one of the sound techs, so when Flea stopped shooting and started to walk towards the dressing room I waved at him saying hi and he came over and I told him that we had met before but that he meets so many people that I really don't expect him to remember, so he says that my face is very familiar. He asked me where had we met, so I say Stockholm, and I told him that I have brought him a present from Mexico since when we met in Sweden he had mentioned that he loved Mexico, and that I had brought it from Guadalajara, and suddenly he goes " Ohhhhhhh, now I remember, you were there with your brother ". In fact that was my Mexican friend Alex, but still he got the point, and I said I couldn't believe he remembered me and he told me that I have a very "distinguishable face", whatever that meant.
But I forgot the present in the "Cockroach Inn" we were staying at, or more than forgetting, I just didn't expect to talk to him that night, so I told him "I just didn't bring it tonight". So he says in the sweetest voice ever "So what do I do?". I wanted to hug him, he was so genuine, and had the expression of a lost little child. I shrunk my head between my shoulders. He asked me if I would be around after the show, so I said yes, and as usual, we watched the concert from the stage, and while he was playing he looked at me and smiled.

The band is getting better and better. I think that Anthony can hardly walk sometimes, but he tries his best. He's still kicking ass. Anthony said last night, after a really amazing jam, that he was a happy person because when he wakes up, Flea is there John too, and Chad. A member of the audience had a big Chad sign, and Chad came to pick it up afterwards, that was so sweet of him!

After the show I was just so utterly tired that I went straight to say bye to some of the people and I spotted Flea standing right next to our exit gate, and he was talking to this super skinny girl, and as he saw me coming he cut her off and came to talk to me. He said hi and I said that I had to go (sometimes my train of thought is not as fluent as I wish it would be) and that I'd give him the present some other time, I apologized and I hugged him and kissed him good bye on his cheek and as I started walking away I told him that I might see him tomorrow (that is today). I asked him if he would be around and he said yes, probably. Which means, that I have to go in a few hours. I wonder why I was rushing so much now...

Anthony is always so close, but at the same time so far away.... he's always there... yesterday he was so to my speaking distance, just talking to some people, but I walked away again. I'm just not even able to get close and say hi.

I forgot to pick up my set list last night.
So no ticket, no set list, no sticker-souvenir. It's almost like I wasn't there!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.