3.2.07

New Orleans, LA, june 11th 2003


So we skipped the first show yesterday in Shreveport. We were advised by someone truly lovely of the crew to skip it and stay longer in New Orleans. That was the plan in the first place anyways, but it is heart warming to see how people actually care about us, and even ask us to call every city we drive to, just to let know we arrived safely. Amazing, Incredible, overwhelming.

We're taking a big time out here, seems the right place to do so, we're skipping San Antonio next too, so that gives us actually 4 days off till next show on the 14th in Houston. I am exhausted.
I remember this song from the 80's "funky town" and I thought how maybe that song was inspired in New Orleans, although this is the home of Jazz and blues. Pretty cool place.

I think it's just now that's hitting me how many places I've been to lately in such a short period of time and haven't had the time to absorb yet all the flavors, colors, visions, sounds, smells, textures and beauty in every different culture, the landscapes and architecture, hotness and coldness of the different hemispheres and the sweetness and sourness of people... I feel truly enriched by this experience.

We hanged out in the French Quarter for a while late at night and this must be the capital city of vice and sex as far as my eye has seen. There were the ever typical (and some not so typical)topless/stripclub holes all around but I think the most shocking stuff were the posters of the "self sex experience" (and that was not having sex with yourself) which are those places where people walk in to watch people having sex on some kind of stage, except the people having sex are the people who actually walk in to watch people have sex, meaning, you’re supposed to be the star of the show!

There was something definitely cooking in the atmosphere. We ended up consoling a very young prostitute who was crying helplessly on the pavement. We just asked her if she was ok and she said she was too tired and her pimp (or whatever you call it) wouldn’t let her go home. Then she mentioned she was scared because of these prostitute chain-murders going on in the New Orleans area, and Geli freaked out after the word murder. Big time. So we ended up going back to the hotel in the end.

Anyways, for this New Orleans show we were offered extra tix and exchanged ours again outside and got to keep the extra ticket (and the gas money which is always a plus since we have started running poor) as a souvenir because snobbish as it sounds, it crushes my heart not to have the ticket that witnesses my entrance to the show even if I don't use it.


The show.

It was so great! Anthony seemed pretty happy and when John was singing "I feel love", a song that I'm just becoming addicted to, he was dancing like I've never seen him before. It still amazes me the way he can move. Then he started making all these funny noises in the microphone and was smiling a lot. I was smiling a lot too.


Me in the New Orleans Arena, smiling from inside and outside before the show.

At a point Dave L. and another guy from the crew looked at each other in amazement and started cracking up because Anthony went completely mental during " Don't forget me". So much. So much.

Yet another set list courtesy of Martin.

Half way through they started playing Apache Rose Peacock and I got so excited, started jumping and started singing from the very depths of my guts, so loud, but somewhen before "lunatics on pogo sticks" everything started sounding... weird. And that's when they stopped the song and Anthony seemed to forget the lyrics and said "We haven't played this song in 13 years".

Anyways, everyone kept being really nice to me. I'm still content to watch my band and the man in my dreams from a very, very itchy distance. There's no feeling like being on stage.
I feel love, I feel love, I feel love.
And I love feeling the speakers underneath my feet making them tickle, making me giggle.

Today I actually took the camera with me and took a couple of pictures of Anthony when he walked next to me.





It was a good day.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Hi! I'm an italian girl and I have a red-hot-mania like you (especially for John!)...I would thank you for the amazing and exciting way you described the city and the show, as I have never been to their concerts..thanks!!

Young_Kentucky_Girl said...

Hi Anna :) It makes me happy you're enjoying it. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.