3.5.07

Albuquerque, NM, june 21st (part 5)

So many things happened in Albuquerque...
So, before even getting to talk to John, we were on the bus with Anthony just before he went to get his Ozone. He was wearing a white tank top and grey shorts and flip flops. He seemed much different than the day before. Even his facial expression was different and he looked at me from head to toes.
"You´re wearing a see through" he said with a strange look.
"What?" I thought.
I was wearing a knit-army-green-long-sleeve-jumper that had some holes in it which made it a bit transparent. I was wearing a jumper in a very hot weather and a long denim skirt and knee length boots.
After 3 weeks road tripping America, it was the only clean pieces of clothing I had left. That and my underwear. I think I told him that it was the ventilation system of my jumper, to which he asked why was I wearing a sweater in such weather. I told him that when we left Colorado it was cold (and in fact I had been cold during the night) and I thought it was a better answer than saying I didn´t have any other clean clothes anyways.
"Don´t you check the weather channel?" he asked.
I didn´t reply to that. We woke up at 7 am, had a quick shower, 3 coffees and drove for 6 hours from Denver Colorado to Albuquerque, New Mexico. It didn´t cross my mind to check the weather in Albuquerque to pick my clothes even if I had any clean items left.
I seemed to be pretty wrapped up and he seemed to be very inquisitive about it.
Ever since, I have only told this to my friend Geli since she went through all of this with me, but for a long time I suspected Mr. Kiedis wrote "Eskimo" inspired in our encounters during that tour. In the lyrics he mentions the people and things we talked about, like Jesus Christ, Bush, the literature references (Oscar Wilde, but we talked about another Bristish poet, William Blake) the busted knee bit, and the most obvious reference to my homeland "somewhere in Mexico".

Right after this day in Albuquerque, the Chili Peppers would go home to L.A. and work during the Summer in a couple of songs to put out with their Greatest Hits album later in the Autum, and eventually, would release the single "Fortune Faded" with two B sides, one of which was "Eskimo". So when I got myself with a copy of the "Fortune faded" single and heard the lyrics to Eskimo my heart almost jumped out of my chest. The timing of the release made sense to me to think the lyrics might have something to do with our conversations. I have never found out surely though because I'm uncertain of when they actually recorded the song.

Back to the tour bus, "Round 2" was a little bit of a shock for me. Although my friend Geli did warn me a couple of weeks before that "guys talk" just like we girls do, I never really thought of Anthony as a "regular guy" for whatever reason, but the truth is that he's as much of a guy as the guy next door, and indeed, like Geli said, "Guys talk too". Anthony knew what I had been talking about and who I had been talking to on the tour, and I was in disbelief when he enquired about me talking in Spanish to his tour manager. I just couldn't help laughing. I had this hilarious/amusing mental picture of a world famous mature rockstar gossiping in a totally teenage style with the guys around about "the girl doing the documentary" and how she said something to Louie in Spanish. It made my entire year.

I asked him what he was going to do when he went home.
"I am going home and the first thing I'm gonna do is kiss my dog, he's gonna jump all over the place like a big freak, he's 105 pounds and he gets about this high off the ground, just pshhh, and then I'm gonna go swimming in my pool which is clean with ozone instead of chlorine, just like me, and then I'm going to visit my friends and ride my vespa, my motor scooter, and go to my favorite eating holes"
B: What kind of food?"
AK: Real food. Real living food. So I'm going to do that and then I'm going to settle in the comfort of my own bed, my own pillows and my own sheets.

At a point I was so incredibly exhausted I kind of lost my will to ask any questions and just let the conversation go wherever it might, but he did all the asking then. He asked if we "have sugar daddys" and "who is funding your operations and paying for your femenine products" and just kept having a laugh about pretty much everything. He asked if we were sharing the driving and if we had strange tendencies whilst driving long distances in a small vehicle and all that silliness of the sort.
This time we didn't have as much time to talk, but then the most amazing and unexpected thing happened as he was ready to leave. "OK, I'm gonna go and do my thing. You're all welcome to stay here, the door will be locked so you'd be here the whole night but... you might want the rest"

To be continued.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say...WOW! How did you handle your self in such a situation? I can't wait for the next installment!
Love Rachel

Young_Kentucky_Girl said...

Hi Rachel, I don't know, sometimes I wonder myself...

JrMints said...

I'm curious too... how did you and Geli fund all this??? If they ever tour again I might try my luck and pack up and follow them around!

Anonymous said...

Eskimo was recorded 2 years prior to this conversation ;)